Thursday, November 28, 2013

First "Give A Darn Awards"

Unfortunately, it's human nature to pay more attention and to dwell longer on the bad (negative) things that happen in our communities and in our lives. Any bad event makes a greater and longer lasting impression than a comparable good event.

Although that may have had its advantages during prehistoric times (it's definitely important to remember a bad encounter with a sabertooth tiger so you don't have another one), it leads us to fall into a trap of thinking that everything is bad and nothing is good.

But in a 2001 article titled, "Bad Is Stronger Than Good", Roy F. Baumeister and Ellen Bratslavsky concluded that we can still be happy in our lives by, "...having far more good than bad events."

So, as we celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday, I think it's time that we remind ourselves how important it is to deliberately honor good people, good actions and good outcomes in our city.

Two weeks ago, on November 12, I was privileged to be able to recognize two people who've done a lot of good in District 2 as I presented the first two of what I hope will be thousands of awards.

Many people knew Anna (Ann) Dercher. She was a lifelong KCK resident and, among other things, had been president of the St. Joe Watchdogs neighborhood group and had served as my appointee to the Unified Government Planning Commission.

Ann passed away in September. As I reflected on all the positive things she had done in her neighborhood and our district, I was disappointed that I hadn't done a better job of thanking her for her service, and I had an idea about a small way that I could recognize her and everyone else who "gives a darn" and makes a difference in the district.

I asked the UG Director of Urban Planning and Land Use, Mr. Rob Richardson, if I could make a presentation to Ann's husband Joe at a Planning Commission meeting. He graciously agreed, so here's the presentation I made at the Planning Commission meeting on November 12.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = =
"Thank you for the opportunity to make this short presentation.

"I became Commissioner two and half years ago. One day as I was really beginning to sink my teeth into the task of solving problems, meeting challenges and getting things done, I lamented, 'No one gives a darn anymore.' (except I actually didn't use the word 'darn').

"Well, of course, that wasn't and isn't true. There are thousands of people in our city who truly do give a darn about their block, their neighborhood, their district and the entire city and county.

"By virtue of the fact that you (Planning Commission) are sitting in those seats tonight, you have demonstrated that you absolutely give a darn.

"And as I further reflected on this topic, I began to think that I really should take proactive steps to begin to recognize and thank those citizens who are stepping up every day in every way to make this a great place to live. I thought that I should try to recognize those people who may or may not have any elected, appointed or hired position but are leading in our community by word and example.

"So... I had the idea that I would create a 'Give A Darn Award'.

"The award certificate says that this award recognizes citizens for "...going above and beyond to support and enrich the people and places of Unified Government District 2”.

"The first two people I thought of when creating this award were Ann and Joe Dercher.

"They have both worked tirelessly for years in their neighborhood and beyond to enrich and improve our city. Ann's years of service on this Planning Commission are just one example of that work.

"When I was told that a representative from Foutch Brothers would be present at the September 11 picnic of the St. Joe Watchdogs neighborhood group, and that he would be talking about the nearly completed renovation of the old Saint Margaret's Hospital and that Ann was going to do her best to be present for a few minutes because that project meant so much to her, I thought that the picnic would be the perfect place to present the inaugural Give A Darn Awards.

"Unfortunately, Ann went into the hospital for the last time just a couple of days before that picnic and I never had a chance to present the award to her.

"As I thought about the next best venue for presenting the award, I thought the Planning Commission would be ideal, given Ann's years of service in her role as a member of this group.

"I am grateful to Mr. Richardson for agreeing to let me make the presentation tonight and I hope that Ann is watching and listening tonight as I say, 'Thank you Ann for all that you did. Thank you for giving a darn about our city.'

"Thanks also to her loving husband Joe Dercher who was her daily partner and worked so hard right alongside her and who demonstrated a give a darn spirit as big as hers.

"Joe, I am honored to have the opportunity to present the inaugural District 2 Give A Darn awards to you."
= = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Here's what the Give A Darn Award looks like without a frame.

Joe Dercher holds a proclamation for Ann from the Planning Commission
and the nameplate that marked Ann's seat in the Commission Chambers.

I was privileged to present the first two Give A Darn Awards to Joe Dercher.

Having presented the inaugural awards, my plan is to create a "Give a Darn Award" web page linked from my Commissioner page on the UG website. My goal on that page will be to describe the history of the award, outline the basis on which it is given, list all of the recipients to date and tell people how they can nominate someone for a future award.

While I'd love for this to be considered a prestigious award, I don't want to make it an exclusive award. I'll give out as many Give A Darn Awards as there are deserving people to receive them! Wouldn't it be marvelous if we ended up with thousands of names on the Give A Darn Award honor roll?

Click my email address or my Suggestion Box link below to send me a note and nominate one or more people that you believe deserve a Give A Darn Award. Be sure to include their name(s) and the reason(s) that you believe they deserve an award.

I hope everyone has a safe and blessed Thanksgiving!
~ Brian

bmckiernan@wycokck.org
- or -
Suggestion Box