Monday, August 26, 2013

Wild and Crazy Idea for Minnesota Avenue

A couple of posts back, I uploaded several photos of the new MetroCenter transit hub at 7th Street and Minnesota Avenue and I advocated for finishing street and sidewalk upgrades on either side of the new facility.

Back in late July, I got a firsthand look at some excellent street improvements that could serve as a great blueprint for us. Along with several UG staff, I had the opportunity to travel to Grandview, Missouri where Mayor Steve Dennis and Public Works Director Dennis Randolph gave a presentation and led a walking tour of the ongoing "complete streets" renovations underway on Main Street in Grandview.

I'll post a lot more about that project later, but the one thing that caught my eye as we walked in front of City Hall was the arch that spanned the street. Here's a photo...




All the letters of "Main Street" and "Grandview" are illuminated by LEDs. Not only do they light up at night, but the color of the letters can be changed depending on the season of the year or the special event that is taking place in their downtown. How cool is that?

As I snapped this photo in the rain, I thought to myself, "Hey, we have an arch like that in downtown Kansas City Kansas!"

Here's a photo of our arch. It spans Minnesota Avenue between 4th and 5th Streets and greets visitors who are coming off the Lewis and Clark Viaduct and heading west toward our downtown.




I have to confess, I don't know anything about the history of this arch or who designed it or how it was funded/constructed, so I hope I don't make anyone mad with this idea, but I had a wild and crazy thought as I stood looking at our arch on a warm Sunday afternoon...

What if our arch proudly proclaimed "Kansas City, Kansas" to everyone heading west into our downtown? And what if the words "Kansas City, Kansas"glowed in the dark and could change colors depending on the season or the event? Wouldn't that be cool? Here's what such a sign might look like...


Just thought I'd start the week with a little bit of randomness. :-)

Click a link below to send me a message and share your thoughts.

Have a great week!!


~ Brian

bmckiernan@wycokck.org
- or -
Suggestion Box